Covid-19 Update at Thurrock Adult Community College, 29 August
Thurrock Adult Community College is continuing with plans for you to learn safely during the Covid-19 outbreak and is reopening in September with new rules to help keep both you, and our staff, safe. Our course guide is available to download from the home page and you can search and book on the Find A Course page. Please continue to follow the Government guidance for the latest guidelines to stop the spread by protecting yourself and others as well as familiarising yourself with the changes below to our operations:
The College will be opening in stages:
- From Thursday 3 September:
Have an assessment booked? You will receive a phone call from the college to advise on the new way we are assessing. Do not come onsite unless you have been asked to (after this phone call) as the college is not open to the general public..
- From Monday 7 September:
pre-booked face to face appointments will be available for enrolments (that cannot be completed online, digitally or over the telephone). For assessments, you will receive a phone call from the college to advise on the new assessment methods. Please do not come onsite unless you have been asked to.
- From Tuesday 15 September:
adult education and training classes start, using a blended learning model following current gov.uk safety guidelines.
What to Expect
- Restricted numbers using the building at any one time
- Pre-booked appointments only. No drop-ins will be available
- Payments for courses will be taken by card only
- Increased cleaning regimes, especially in toilets and communal areas
- Protective screens at the front and side reception desk
- Hand sanitiser dispensers on reception and outside toilet blocks.
- Please note that we are currently unable to offer room hire or the public use of the Learning and Development Hub
- Access to the Preschool is now through the dedicated side gate only.
The college building will not be open for drop-ins to the general public. You will need to book an appointment for:
- Enrolments that cannot be completed online or using our new digital forms (book via firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Providing evidence for fee remissions (book via email@example.com)
- Certificate collections that are not available electronically, when available from examining bodies (book via firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Assessments for qualification courses that can’t be completed virtually (book online at tacc.ac.uk)
- Wellbeing inductions (Book online at from the Find A Course Page - search for WELL to see the free programme)
- Lipreading course assessments (book online from the Find A Course Page)
- Access to a computer in the Cyber Café (book via email@example.com)
- Learner Guidance and Support (email firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Mental Health First Aider for learners (email email@example.com)
We ask that you bring your own face mask or visor and put on before entering the building and keep on whilst you are in any of the public areas of the building (including corridors, toilets and classrooms).
Please note that opening hours may vary from week to week. See our website and Facebook page for any changes or email firstname.lastname@example.org to check and book appointments. When you arrive in the building, the front desk will not be staffed. A bell will be available for you to call a member of Learner Services to the desk when required.
You will see signs around the college that remind you to:
- Follow social distancing rules – keep a safe distance from others
- Sanitise your hands, on arrival before using the toilets,
- Wash your hands regularly
- Stay at home if you or a family member is unwell. You should only go out to get tested.
- Wear a mask over your nose and mouth, unless you are unable to
- Respect those who may be unable wear a face covering due to an underlying health condition
- Go straight to your classroom after sanitising your hands
- Use disinfectant sprays provided to clean your desk and dispose of wipes in bin
- Bring and use your own pen and materials in class, if you can
- Wipe down any IT equipment before and after use
- Keep your bags and coats close to you, on your own desk
- Stay in your class ‘bubble’ to limit contact with others
- Follow tutor’s instructions for staggered dismissal when leaving class
- Stay alert to risk of infection and the symptoms of Coronavirus
- Tell your tutor immediately if you start to feel unwell.
Our mission is to provide adult education and make a positive difference to local people and their communities. The current Coronavirus situation is an anxious time for everyone. The health, safety and wellbeing of our learners and staff is essential at this time. As a College we have continued to deliver free online workshops and courses for the local community and have made plans for you to learn from September 2020 with a blended learning approach on a full range of qualification and skills courses, with our College staff equipped to work and teach remotely as well as onsite, following safety guidelines.
We thank you for your patience and understanding while we follow the restricted capacity and our administration teams work remotely as well as onsite. We recommend that you email any enquiry to email@example.com as you will receive a faster reply, during normal operating hours, Monday to Friday.
Is the Preschool open?
Our Preschool is term-time only and welcomes the children back on Thursday 3 September via the side entrance only - there is no longer access to the Preschool through the College building. Need a place for your child? Please call 01375 485868 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit the www.tacc.ac.uk/preschool page for more details.
Where can I find more Government and health information?
Residents, businesses and visitors in Thurrock should follow government information about the situation in the UK, along with guidance on what to do if you think you are at risk. For more details, please go to Thurrock Council's website for links to the latest government and health agency information and advice.
Our Course Guide 2020-21 is available to download online
Scan the QR Code to download and discover adult training opportunities available.
Search latest availability and book your course online from the Find A Course page to start your learning journey today!
If you have any queries, please email email@example.com