Covid-19 Update at Thurrock Adult Community College
Thurrock Adult Community College has been able to carry on with plans for you to learn safely during the Covid-19 pandemic, with new rules to help keep both you, and our staff, safe. You can search and book new courses for 2021 on the Find A Course page. Please continue to follow the Government guidance for the latest guidelines to stop the spread by protecting yourself and others as well as familiarising yourself with the latest changes below to our operations:
Following the Government announcement implementing a national lockdown, classes for all learners will be via remote learning and there will be no public access to the building until further notice.
All learners must ensure they liaise with their tutor regarding their course specifically and await further instructions.
- Need to contact the college? We recommend you email firstname.lastname@example.org as phone lines may be busy
- Registered your interest for an assessment or have an assessment booked? You will receive a phone call from the college to discuss the next step. These phone calls will take place in from early January 2021 onwards.
- Need to enrol or provide paperwork? You can enrol online, from a digital enrolment form or over the phone. There are currently no onsite appointments. Existing learners can email us at email@example.com to enrol on enrichment or free online workshops.
- Need to provide evidence for fee remissions? Upload your evidence to the digital DLSF or Self-Declaration form. If you are having difficulties, email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Will my class be online or onsite? Our adult education and training classes are delivered using a blended learning model. Most courses are now delivered online through distance learning. Please speak to your tutor about your individual class during the national lockdown.
- Need to pay? We are now taking card payments only and you can provide your details over the phone including for instalment plan payments. We offer a 10% discount for courses paid in full at the time of enrolment.
- Certificate collections: Paper certificates are not being issued at present. When e-certificates are received, the Exams Office will forward straight onto learners. Please ensure we have your correct email address on the system. If you have not received your certificate, it is because we have not yet received it from the examining board.
- Learner Guidance and Support, email email@example.com
- Mental Health First Aider for learners, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Is the Preschool open?
Yes, our Preschool is open, term-time only with access via the side gate. Need a place for your child? Please call 01375 485868 or email email@example.com. Visit the www.tacc.ac.uk/preschool page for more details.
Visiting safely (when the college building reopens)
Once we can reopen the college to learners, we ask that you bring your own face mask or visor and put on before entering the building and keep on whilst you are in any of the public areas of the building (including corridors, toilets and classrooms).
To use a public computer in our Cyber Cafe, you will need to call us to make a booking in advance. Slots are limited to 2 hours.
Please note that opening hours may vary from week to week. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to check and book appointments. When you arrive in the building, the front desk will not be staffed. A bell will be available for you to call a member of Learner Services to the desk when required.
You will see signs around the college that remind you to:
- Stay at home if you or a family member is showing symptoms or have tested positive for Covid-19. You should only go out to get tested.
- Follow social distancing rules – keep the recommended 2 metres from others
- Sanitise your hands, on arrival before using the toilets,
- Wash your hands regularly
- Wear a mask over your nose and mouth, unless you are unable to
- Respect those who may be unable wear a face covering due to an underlying health condition
- Go straight to your classroom after sanitising your hands
- Use disinfectant sprays provided to clean your desk and dispose of wipes in bin
- Bring and use your own pen and materials in class, if you can
- Wipe down any IT equipment before and after use
- Keep your bags and coats close to you, on your own desk
- Stay in your class ‘bubble’ to limit contact with others
- Follow tutor’s instructions for staggered dismissal when leaving class
- Stay alert to risk of infection and the symptoms of Coronavirus
- Tell your tutor immediately if you start to feel unwell.
- That we have a strict limit of one person only at the side reception desk.
Our mission is to provide adult education and make a positive difference to local people and their communities. The current Coronavirus situation is an anxious time for everyone. The health, safety and wellbeing of our learners and staff is essential at this time. As a College we have continue to deliver free online workshops and courses for the local community and have a blended learning approach on a full range of qualification and skills courses, with our College staff equipped to work and teach remotely as well as onsite, following safety guidelines to help adults retrain.
We thank you for your patience and understanding while we follow lockdown closure or safety guidelines. With restricted capacity onsite, we do recommend that you email any enquiry to email@example.com as you will receive a faster reply, during normal operating hours, Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 3.30pm
What to Expect (when the building reopens)
- Please note that due to National Lockdown, the building is currently closed to the public until further notice. Learners must ensure they liaise with their tutor regarding individual classes. When we are allowed to reopen the building, we will continue to have restricted classes onsite, with most courses now taught online.
- Strictly pre-booked appointments or enrolled learners only onsite. No general public access.
- Payments for courses will be taken by card only
- Increased cleaning regimes, especially in toilets and communal areas
- Protective screens at the front and side reception desk
- Hand sanitiser dispensers on reception and outside toilet blocks.
- We are currently unable to offer room hire or the public use of the Learning and Development Hub
- Access to the Preschool through the dedicated side gate only.
Where can I find more Government and health information?
Residents, businesses and visitors in Thurrock should follow government information about the situation in the UK, along with guidance on what to do if you think you are at risk. For more details, please go to Thurrock Council's website for links to the latest government and health agency information and advice.