Devolution and the Greater London Area - Guidance

Please note: if you live within the Greater London Authority (GLA) area and want to study at Thurrock Adult Community College (TACC), you may be affected by changes made to certain adult education functions as part of devolution deals. Locally to Thurrock, the main areas affected are: Barking & Dagenham, Havering, Hornchurch, Rainham, Romford and Upminster.

In 2015 to 2016, the government agreed a series of devolution deals between central government and local areas (Mayoral Combined Authorities) (MCAs) in England.

As part of the devolution deals, certain adult education functions, in the Apprenticeships Skills, Children and Learning Act 2009, which are funded by the AEB, have been transferred to 6 MCAs in relation to their respective areas. These functions have been delegated to the Mayor of London under section 39A of the Greater London Authority Act 1999.

The Department for Education will transfer the relevant part of the AEB participation budget to the MCAs and the Mayor of London to undertake the adult education functions. These arrangements are commonly described as ‘AEB devolution’ and apply from academic year 2019 to 2020; the MCAs and the Mayor of London (acting where appropriate through the Greater London Authority (GLA)) are referred to as ‘the devolved authorities’.

As part of their new responsibilities the devolved authorities will need to ensure that learners aged 19 and over in their area, who are eligible for funding, have access to appropriate education and training.

From the 2019-20 academic year, the AEB will be split into devolved and non-devolved budgets. This means that from 1 August 2019, the ESFA is no longer accountable for administering the AEB in devolved areas. The ESFA continues to be responsible for funding learners in England that are resident outside of the devolved areas.

For further information please visit:

The devolved authorities within England are:

  • Cambridgeshire and Peterborough
  • Greater Manchester
  • Greater London
  • North of Tyne
  • Liverpool City Region
  • Sheffield City Region (from 1 August 2021)
  • Tees Valley
  • West Midlands
  • West of England
  • West Yorkshire (from 1 August 2021)

For a full list of London Boroughs, all of which are affected by devolution, please visit:

Provision for Learners in Devolved Areas
Thurrock Adult Community College aims to support learners who are resident in devolved areas. Whilst we will be unable to provide learners in these areas with funding, they will still be able to enrol but will need to pay a full cost recovery fee of £13.00 per hour (2020-21 academic year).

We understand some learners might not be able to pay these rates, thus we have provided a list of Colleges within the local area, close to Thurrock, where learners can
access funding for courses:

Havering Adult College (Romford) T: 01708 434955
Havering College of Further and Higher Education T: 01708 455011

Havering Adult College (Romford) T: 01708 434955
Brittons Centre (Havering Adult College) T: 01708 554016
Havering College Of Adult Education (Upminster) T: 01708 434954

Barking & Dagenham
Adult College of Barking and Dagenham T: 020 8270 4722

Havering College Of Adult Education (Gaynes Centre) T: 01708 434954
Havering Adult College (Bower Park Centre) T: 01708 434955
Brittons Centre (Havering Adult College) T: 01708 554016

Havering College Of Adult Education (Upminster) T: 01708 434954
Havering Adult College (Romford) T: 01708 434955

Havering Adult College (Romford) T: 01708 434955

This list is not exclusive, if your area is not above you can contact the National Careers Service on 0800 100 900 or visit:

Map of Combined Authorities